Just above the eastern corner of the Large Deer Enclosure in Harridge Woods West is a former Quartzite quarry. This dates to the 1800’s or earlier, as it is shown on the 1903 OS map. It is a Scheduled Ancient Monument, number 25769.
its easy to see how it was dug out horizontally about 10m deep into the hillside, with the spoil pulled out, perhaps on a horizontal track, to form a flat spoil heap just behind.
End of the Quarry with dramatic tree growth
The flat top of the spoil heap below the quarry
Side of the quarry covered in Ramsons
View up the quarry clearly showing its simple V shape
Above Limekiln Wood is the remains of the former Yard and Lorry Park for the Quarry Opposite.
Track up alongside the main spoil heap
Gradually reverting to scrubby woodland with Pioneer species such as Silver Birch and Hazel.
Flat area at the top of the spoil heap
All sorts of waste from the industry remains, slowly been reclaimed by Moss and shrubs
The site is dominated by tracks up to a large spoil heap, which is now gradually been reclaimed by Nature