Little now remains of Ashwick Grove House, but it used to be a very grand 18th century mansion, with pleasure gardens and a range of buildings, including two lodges, stables and coach house, gardener’s cottage, walled gardens and a grotto.
It was the home of the famous argicultural reformer John Billingsley (1747 – 1811), who developed the fine house by altering or adding to an existing house in which his family had inhabited from the 1690’s.
Following John Billingsley’ death in Ashwick Grove stood empty for several years, before being brought back into use by the Strachey family, who lived there from 1817 until 1937.
The Ashwick Grove estate had then to be sold off to pay death duties. The Georgian mansion, then in a bad state of repair was partly demolished and architectural masonry and other valuables sold at auction, including the woodland, which included ornamental gardens near the house.
Over the following years what had been left succumbed to weathering and gradually crumbled.
By the 1990’s nature had mostly reclaimed the whole gardens and house, One of the large Bath stone window sils was gradually been carried back upwards by a fork in a Ash tree.
In the 2000’s the last part of the front of the main house collapsed leaving only the façade of the smaller eastern wing remaining. At the time of writing in 2015, most of this eastern wing façade has now also collapsed to a heap of rubble